Dave Dempsey has helped shape conservation and Great Lakes policy for 30 years and is an author and co-author of six conservation books. He is currently a policy advisor for the International Joint Commission.
Dave’s past positions include:
- Environmental advisor to Michigan Governor James J. Blanchard (1983-89).
- Executive Director, Michigan Council on Environmental Quality (1989-90).
- Program director, Michigan Office, Clean Water Action (1991-1994).
- Policy Director/Senior Advisor, Michigan Environmental Council (1994-2004).
- Member Great Lakes Fishery Commission (Presidential appointment, 1994-2001).
- Communications Director, Conservation Minnesota (2006-2010).
In 2009, the Michigan Center for the Book, the Michigan Library Association and Sleeping Bear Press gave Dave the annual Michigan Author Award.
Dave has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Western Michigan University (1977) and a master’s degree in resource development from Michigan State University (2001) and served from 1999-2004 as an adjunct instructor at MSU in environmental policy through the Department of Resource Development (now Community Sustainability).